As we struggle through coursework/exams and head into second term, here’s an update as to what we’ve been up to so far.
I’ve been up to a lot this year as Officer, and I’ve loved every second of it! More details to follow, but I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has interacted with us so far this year (whether through providing feedback, donating to our stalls or coming along to events) – it means so much to know that you’re enjoying what we’re doing ❤
Huge shout out to our brilliant committee – Sophie, James, Morgan, Emem, Liv, Jordan, Abi, Luke, Jase and Paige – for all of their help and passion so far this year!!
- Attended and spoke at the University’s EDI board committee meeting
- Continue work on introducing gender neutral toilets around campus outside of Portland Building (in direct talks with the University’s Estates team and have had conversation with Head of Estates Chris Jagger)
- Held first Open Committee Meeting
- Attended the Terrence Higgins Trust World Aids Day event (and saw Prince Harry!)
- Set up the Trans Voices Group with help from the amazing Morgan and Emem
- Set up and started the new Facebook Page which has received a large number of messages already!
- Attended Medsoc welfare stall, Sutton Bonington SHaG week and freshers week stalls, plus Freshers week stalls @ David Ross and QMC
- Cheeky new logo (not the biggest achievement but I’m very proud of it) and leaflets (we shifted 1000!)
- A fantastic Welcome Social with a huge turn out (we gained more official SU members by the first two weeks than there were at the end of last year!)
- Have run some amazing socials, including our trip to Manchester, a Halloween bar crawl, plus regular cafe and Mooch socials (including an International Student cafe and Postgrad/Mature student night!)
- Raised money for the National Aids Trust
- Sexual orientation: Sex, gender and sexual ‘druther’ talk with Boo Jackson (w/ PhilSoc)
- Film screenings (including a collab with FilmSoc)
- LGBT+ Voices talk with Max Biddulph and Ibtisam Ahmed
- Attended MedSoc Welfare Stall
Outside of the Network:
- Gender Neutral Toilets in Nottingham New Theatre
- 30 LGBT+ Safe Space Stickers in the School of Mathematical Sciences (More faculties to follow!)
Keep an eye on 2018, where there will be lots more to come!
Chris Smith (@UONSU_LGBT , email@example.com)
(Image description: Rainbow-adorned Freshers stall with the wonderful Alice Armstrong (Disabled Students Officer))